Status Changed

September 22,1944:
Dearest John,

Just a few lines in hopes you are well and safe wherever you may be. Well, darling, I received a telegram from the War Dept saying you are "missing in action," since Sept 6. It was a shock and you know how I feel so I wont be able to write much except I pray to GOD you will be ok and will be back soon. As I don`t know what I would ever do. But you are coming home darling. I keep praying for you. I hope in a few days I`ll get word of your safety and that you will be home real soon. And we will enjoy life like we were supposed to be entitled to.
Our sweet daughter is ok. I still kiss her every night for her daddy. But the poor little dear does not know what it is all about. She is so like you in darling every respect.The check you sent for $40 came. Thanks a million darling. Every little bit will help for our future, right?...........
Remember the things we are going to do when you get home?('Just we three") God bless the swellest, dearest hubby and daddy in the world.
Your wife
Virginia.
A month or so later, a second telegram arrived. John Soden`s status had officially been changed from missing to dead.

(War: An intimate Story:1941-1945; Ward and Burns)

Comments