My Looks......


As a child my mother and my aunts used to tell me that I would grow upto become handsome. It was clear to me that I was not anything to look at then , but I believe some measure of beauty might come to me eventually.
I do not know what I thought: that my ears which are as tiny as ears of rat will grow a little, that my head grow somehow to fit them? That my hair, not unlike a toilet brush in texture would, with time, unkink itself and reflect light? That my face which held so little promise- eyes as small as ant`s, lips on the thin side-would somehow transform itself into something not regrettable?
For years, I would wake up in the morning and go to the mirror, hoping. Even I was too old to continue hoping, still I did. I grew older and there was no improvement. If anything, things went downhill, I was visited by a plague of acne. For years I continued to hope that things would turn out differently, but I never looked at the mirror.
With time I thought about it less and less. Then hardly at all. And yet. It`s possible that some small part of me has never stopped hoping-that even now there are moments when I stand in front of mirror and believe my beauty is yet to come.

Comments

Priti Tiwari said…
photo is hillarious.....ha ha......somehow i love monkeys, i used to stare at monekeys sitting at my balcony in ukhra, love their expressions,,,,by the way looks doesnt matter at all .....for example..may be u are with most beutiful person of the world and he or she doesnt have a heart to understand u ....will u like him or her....bt i know people hve their own criteria abt the looks they dream abt having a beutiful companion. everybody hve their own perception
Koushik said…
I know,,,,,but look creates first impression,,,,,,and people often fall for it.
Priti Tiwari said…
true looks can misguide u very often.......
Priti Tiwari said…
forgot to add......if you look like the picture u surely are very interesting to watch:)
Koushik said…
again photographs are misleading.....i may look decent in photos, but in reality i am as horrible as that monkey.
Priti Tiwari said…
yup i know monkeys can be horrible once one monkey slapped my pisi while she went on the terrace............

but they are nt harmful i guess